Ingredients You Will Need
This recipe is for a batch of 5 dozen cookies
5 Cups Flour
2 Cups Sugar
5 Teaspoons Baking Powder
1 Teaspoon Salt
2 Tablespoons Nutmeg
1 Cup Currents
1 1/2 Cups Butter
1 Large Mixing Bowl
How to Make Classic Welsh Cookies Welsh Cakes
1. Sift flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and nutmeg into your large mixing bowl.
2. Add currents to your mixing bowl.
3. Cut butter into dry mix.
4. Beat 3 eggs and add enough milk to measure 1 cup, add to above.
5. Gently mix until dough forms not over working the dough.
6. Roll dough onto floured board and cut circles with floured glass.
7. Fry on griddle at 350 degrees until golden brown.
This recipe is courtesy of my mother-in-law Esther. Welsh cookies are served hot or cold and sometimes split and served with jam or butter. The ingredients are similar to a scone but these chubby little tender cookies have a reminder of pancake, biscuit, and muffin all rolled into one.