Always a Summer Treat!
Ingredients you will need:
- 3 Large Peppers
- 1 Pound Ground Beef (At least 85%)
- 2 Teaspoons Butter
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Onion
- 1/4 Teaspoon Pepper
- 1/4 Cup Cracker Crumbs (Seasoned or Plain)
- 3/4 Cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 28 Ounce can Tomato Sauce
- 1 Mixing Bowl
- 1 Baking Dish
How to Make a Homemade Whimpies
- Start to clean peppers by removing the stem and all seeds. After washing slice your peppers in half lengthwise.
- Dice your onion and sauté in butter.
- Thoroughly mix your ground beef, salt, pepper, cracker crumbs, sautéed onions, and 2 tablespoons of tomato sauce in mixing bowl.
- Stuff the peppers, to the top, with mixture.
- Place peppers in an un-greased baking dish and pour the remaining tomato sauce over them.
- Cover with foil and bake at at 350degrees for 45 minutes.
- Remove peppers from oven and carefully pierce foil to release steam before uncovering.
- Sprinkle cheese over the top of peppers and bake for an additional 12 minutes.
I love that this recipe is so versatile. If you want to substitute the ground beef for another ground protein be my guest.
You can use chicken, turkey, or pork as a tasty substitute. You can also use any other cheese of choice as long as it has melting properties.
As always, I hope you give this recipe a try and let me know what you thought of it!